At Green Dental, Sherman Oaks, we believe that maintaining excellent oral hygiene is essential for a healthy and beautiful smile. That’s why believe in educating our patients about the importance of regular brushing and flossing.
Brushing and flossing are the foundation of a strong oral care routine and can help in various forms like removing plaque food particles, and bacteria from the teeth and gums, preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
Our experienced team at Green Dental goes the extra mile to educate our patients on proper brushing and flossing techniques. We provide personalized guidance and demonstrate the correct methods to ensure that our patients have the knowledge and skills to care for their oral health effectively.
By choosing Green Dental, you are not only receiving top-notch dental care but also gaining valuable knowledge about maintaining a healthy smile.
Benefits of brushing & flossing regularly
Regular brushing and flossing are some of the most useful habits that contribute to better oral health.
Here are some of the major benefits of brushing & flossing regularly:
Gum disease prevention: Gingivitis and periodontitis are some gum diseases that can cause gum inflammation, and bleeding, and eventually lead to tooth loss. But when you brush & floss regularly, it helps remove plaque and bacteria from your gum line, preventing gum disease and maintaining healthy gums.
Tooth decay prevention: Brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing at least once a day, can effectively help remove plaque from your teeth and can reduce the risk of cavities which further can help you prevent your tooth decay.
Fresh breath: Bad breath, or halitosis, can be embarrassing and socially distressing. Regular brushing and flossing will remove food particles and bacteria that contribute to foul odors, keeping your breath fresh and pleasant.
Protection for gum recession: Gum recession occurs when the gum tissue wears away, exposing the tooth roots. When you brush and floss regularly, it helps maintain healthy gums, preventing gum recession and the associated sensitivity and potential tooth loss.
Overall health improvement: Did you know? Poor oral hygiene is also associated with the risks of having several health issues that may include heart disease, diabetes, respiratory infections, etc. However, by brushing and flossing regularly, you can reduce the risk of these health conditions.
Saves money: When you brush & floss your teeth regularly, it can help you avoid expensive dental procedures like fillings, root canals, etc. Fewer visits to your dentists mean you pay less and save more.
What’s the proper way to brush?
- The proper way to brush your teeth is by using a pea-sized amount of toothpaste on your toothbrush.
- Aim the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle towards the gum line and use gentle circular motions.
- Be sure to brush on the inside surfaces of your teeth and to use a light back-and-forth motion on the chewing surfaces of your molars.
- Spit out the toothpaste after brushing.
What’s the proper way to floss?
- The proper way to floss is to wind the floss around your middle finger, leaving about an inch of floss to work with.
- Next, guide the floss in between each of your teeth using a gentle back-and-forth motion.
- Be careful not to snap the floss into your gums.
- Once you reach the gum line, curve the floss into a C shape so that you can clean it along the gum line.
- Use a light back-and-forth motion to remove any plaque or debris. Repeat this process for all of your teeth.