Check-ups are Essential
Even when you are doing a fantastic job taking care of your teeth, check-ups have valuable assets that you cannot accomplish at home. Like other parts of your body, your teeth need special care. Your dentist and orthodontist have professional knowledge and tools to provide the proper care for your mouth. There are many important attributes to your routine dental exam.
- Find cavities before they become dangerous. X-rays reveal cavities between teeth that you cannot see. When cavities go undetected, they can cause severe pain and eventually lead to tooth loss. Your routine exam is a great way to avoid a mouthful of fillings.
- Gums are checked with a special tool for disease. Dental check-ups are not only for your teeth. Your gums hold hints of mouth health. Spaces between gums and teeth are measured for signs of gum disease. Gum disease has little or no symptoms until it is advanced.
- Invisible plaque can be discovered during your check-up. Plaque is clear, and you cannot see buildup on your teeth. Plaque hardens over time and becomes tartar. Plaque and tartar are the major causes of cavities and gum disease.
- Professional cleaning at your check-up uses special tools to remove tartar. The process is called scaling. Scaling removes plaque and tartar buildup to prevent future cavities.
- Polishing during your cleaning helps remove stains. Unsightly stains from food build up over time. Polishing helps remove stains before they become deep within the tooth.
- Sealants and fluoride can prevent tooth decay. During your check-up, your teeth are treated with fluoride and sealants. Fluoride provides essential tooth strength and sealants prevent decay.
- Symptoms of mouth cancer may be detected early during your check-up. Your dentist and orthodontist are trained to detect symptoms leading to mouth cancer. An oral cancer screening is painless and only takes a few minutes. Early detection of oral cancer is critical for recovery.
Dental care is a vital part of maintaining good health. Keep your smile healthy and beautiful. If you are seeking dental care in Sherman Oaks, call to schedule your consultation today. (818) 782-9500